DIY Electrical Rewiring
When it comes to our Jou Fixer Upper, Wayne is such a jack-of-all-trades. His handiwork knows no boundaries and he attributes his DIY electrical rewiring skills all to YouTube University.
Our Huge Electrical Project
This is a biggie. We can officially add “master electrician” to Wayne’s resume. His masters in Electrical Engineering came into handy. He rewired the entire electrical system of the home.
This huge electrical rewiring project took a few months to complete during the summer:
- Removal old wires: Hanging out in the hot hot heat of the attic removing the old mickey mouse electrical wires.
- Wayne-gyver Wireman: Pulling wires from the attic and through the walls to the outlet boxes. He eventually built a jig to unravel the wires so he can give me a break from feeding him the wires.
- Electrical outlets: Installing 45+ new electrical outlet boxes to the wall studs and wiring all the boxes. We designated a hall closet to be our “utility closet”–housing our coaxial cables, Ethernet, and wifi–in a handy dandy structured media enclosure (see below).
- LED recessed lighting: Installing 45+ recessed lighting canisters, junction boxes, and recessed LED bulbs.
- Light switches: Installing 15+ wifi-enabled light dimmer switches and regular switches.
- Connecting all the wires to the newly upgraded electrical panel. We hired a professional, Ryan Electric, to do the last bit.
If you also enjoy DIY projects, let us know with a comment below and subscribe to It’s Jou Life! Enter your e-mail address in the upper right column of the page to stay updated and receive e-mails whenever we post. We don’t share your personal information with anyone.